Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Roasted Chicken Pieces with Veggies – In South African Boerekos Style! Absolutely delicious!

A recipe that both adults and kids will love! See the original recipe – The one I use – Very bottom of page, which I have uploaded from the original book published by Huisgenoot’s (You mag’s) winning recipes.
  • Total weight of recipe with my ingredients: 4.005 kg
  • Total Calories of Whole dish: 6,524    –     Serves: 4 – 6
Keep leftover chicken stock (juices and fats) from a previous nights grilled or roasted
chicken. In this case you would have captured all the lovely seasonings and juices in pan
placed beneath – Which means you will not need to use any soup powders at all to boost
the flavour of this dish and it is so much better done this way!
This is a very old South African recipe that has been passed around for many years.
It appeared as a winning recipe in the Huisgenoot (You) magazine many years ago!
Ingredients: (These were my ingredients when I last made)
1.536kg Whole chicken
45 ml Chicken fat or Schmalz (fats from leftover grilled/roasted chicken)
4 potatoes (medium), peeled and sliced (I leave my skins on)
1 cup water or as needed
1 onion (medium), peeled and sliced
3 – 4 carrots (medium), peeled and sliced lengthways
80 ml (80 g) mayonnaise
80 ml (80 g) chutney (Peach is lovely!)
80 ml (80 g) tomato sauce, freshly pureed
22.5 ml parsley, chopped (Add just before serving)
2 g (1 tablespoon or 3) bay leaves, crushed or crumbled [282471] Optional
530 g rice
348 g peas, frozen
Method:
Grill chicken pieces on metal rack placed in metal pan to catch all juices and fats.
Tip: I use a large pizza pan, placed onto large metal microwave oven turntable, fitted over
10 liter glass oven bowl of FlavorWave or Halogen Oven with it’s metal extender ring placed onto microwave-turntable with element head fitting perfectly over it.
Sometimes I even do this in my electric wok with the Halogen / FlavorWave Oven head together with it’s extender ring placed neatly over it. Beautiful! – Fits perfectly!




My own picture

BAKED MAYONNAISE & CHUTNEY CHICKEN

As you can see this recipe goes by many names in South Africa and also goes by the name of Spanish Chicken – Believe it or not!




Another non gmo recipe for this that has been doing the rounds for many years now, but I much prefer with the seasoned fats and juices caught from grilling previous night’s chicken pieces and including their juices within the recipe, which I find to be by far better than adding soup powders which contain so many allergens today.

NOTE FROM CHRISSIE ON THE SLOW COOKER: How to make Chutney chicken in the slow-cooker – just 3.5 hrs until done in 180° C oven.
Note: Beef and onion soup powder is by far the better one to use today but you may even use a white onion soup powder – The last I tasted brown onion soup powder I was very disappointed as it had deteriorated and now on with the recipe..

Ingredients:
Pack 8-10 chicken legs and thighs in an oven dish and season lightly with salt.
MIX IN SEPARATE CONTAINER:
1 packet brown onion soup powder with 250 ml warm water
Stir in 1/2 cup (125 ml) mayonnaise
¼ cup (62.5 ml) chutney
¼ cup (62.5 ml) sweet chili sauce (I use my own homemade – recipe here in my notes)
¼ cup (62.5 ml) tomatoes, pureed (Fresh)
Pour the above mixture over chicken and cover with foil.
Bake approximately 50-60 minutes
Remove foil and bake uncovered until golden brown
Source: Radio Namakwaland
Foto: Chrissie Havlicek
Donated by: Henriette Wessels / WATERTAND RESEPTE VIR OUD EN JONKhttp://www.watertandresepteviroudenjonk.com/vleis—hoender.html
***********************************************************************
This is the one I always make – See my ingredients in above first recipe typed out.




This is the one I make (See my ingredients above) from Winning Recipes Huisegenooot magazine
 (You Mag) – This book published contains all their winning recipes – Enjoy!